The Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office is responsible for prosecuting those charged with violating the criminal laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia in Virginia Beach.
The City of Virginia Beach is not the 'Safest City of our size in America' by accident. This happens due to an excellent working partnership between the citizens of Virginia Beach, law enforcement and the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Some of the most dedicated and highly trained professionals make up the Virginia Beach Police Department, the Virginia Beach Sheriff’s Office and the Virginia State Police. However, it makes no difference how many crimes they solve or criminals they catch if there is not a well-run and effective Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney to go to court and fight for victims.
Policies We Employ:
- Dealing Dangerous Drugs: The Commonwealth's Attorney does not tolerate the behavior of defendants who prey upon addicts by dealing dangerous drugs. There is a difference between an addict in need of help and a drug dealer who continues to put dangerous substances out in the community. When appropriate, prosecutors will seek treatment options for offenders struggling from addiction. Prosecutors will be firm in seeking punishment for those who deal illegal drugs.
- Domestic Violence: While the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney is not required, nor funded, to provide a prosecutor for misdemeanor domestic violence cases, this issue is such a serious problem that we cannot possibly leave victims to go to court alone. The Commonwealth's Attorney's Office will ensure there is a prosecutor and a Victim-Witness caseworker present in court to handle these cases.
- Use a Gun, Go to Jail: The Commonwealth's Attorney firmly believes that anyone who uses a gun to commit a crime should be held accountable. This level of violence will not be tolerated in our city.
- Prosecute all DUI cases: Roughly 10% of all DUIs that occur in Virginia happen in Virginia Beach. That unfortunate statistic cannot be ignored or go unaddressed. As the General Assembly has moved to enact tougher DUI laws, the resulting court process has become much more complicated. We have formed a specialized prosecution team to handle every DUI case, as well as traffic-related fatality or serious injury cases, in an effort to combat this very serious crime of driving while under the influence.
- Educational Outreach: It is important to educate students at all levels in order to prevent juvenile crime. The Commonwealth's Attorney's Office also speaks to parent and other community groups upon request.
- Consumer Fraud Education: The Commonwealth's Attorney's Office works with senior citizen groups in order to better inform and advise our elderly citizens of potential scams and frauds that they may encounter.